About Cricket

Get Live Cricket Score And Read All The Latest News That Suits You. Cricket Is Not All About Winning Or Losing It Is A Fun Game In Which A Game Played Between Two Teams Of 11 players. One team bats, trying to score as many runs as possible while the other team bowls and fields, trying to dismiss the batsmen and thus limit the runs scored by the batting team.

Friday, April 29, 2011

I Miss Cricket Says Zulqarnain


LAHORE: 
Despite the fact that Zulqarnain Haider hung up his boots prematurely given the circumstances that forced him to retire, it may be a while before the former wicket-keeper is considered for national duty again.

Haider admitted missing playing cricket but also stated the stance he took, against corruption, was equally important. The 25-year-old left the team during the One-Day International series against South Africa in the UAE and fled to the UK after claiming to have been threatened by bookmakers. He sought political asylum in Britian before returning to Pakistan earlier this week after being assured of security by the government.

Haider now resides in Islamabad with his family and is yet to step foot in Lahore due to security concerns.

“My cricket has already suffered a lot and I miss playing,” Haider told The Express Tribune from Islamabad. “I had worked very hard to get into the national side and I don’t know why I was targeted by the bookmakers. But I think the stance I took against corruption is equally important as playing for Pakistan.”

The former wicket-keeper said that his rightful place was on the cricket field and his role of a glovesman but due to the circumstances, he was left with nothing.

“I started playing cricket in a shadow of crisis. Aged 13, I lost my mother but still managed to continue playing cricket. I never knew that things would turn out this way.”

Haider, who announced his retirement in London, said that he is yet to decide on his future. “I may be losing valuable time by not playing cricket but I will stage a comeback.”

Haider maintained he was ready to answer all the questions of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and was in fact, eager to clear things up.

“I’ve no problems in facing the PCB. I know there are negative things being said about me but I’m keen to clear them.”

PCB’s Chief Selector Mohsin Khan, however, said that Haider would be considered once the board clears him to play first-class cricket.

Haider, who faced heavy criticism after he deserted the team during the UAE series, said he was delighted after the police arrested eight bookmakers in the Sambrial area near Sialkot. And while the bookmakers confessed to have threatened the 25-year-old, Haider said his actions were fully justified.
He added that the International Cricket Council should take steps to curb the menace of corruption in cricket and backed any effort that targets corruption.
“I put my career on the line and I won’t get bothered if I’m required to help,” said Haider.

“The confidence that has been given to me by the government of Pakistan has brought me back. I hope that with serious steps, a time will come when our cricket will become clean.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More